Beautiful sandy beaches, temperate enjoyable weather, and fun water activities for all!
Capitola is a city that falls in the Santa Cruz County on the coast of Monterey Bay. Steep cliffs mark access to several popular beaches, including New Brighton Beach, or drop directly to the rocky shoreline of the bay. Downtown Capitola sits in a depression among the cliffs so that the popular tourist and shopping area leads directly to Capitola Beach.
Colorful houses and hotels line the slopes of the town leading back up to the clifftops. Here are our top ten fun activities:
- No trip to Capitola is complete without a stay at the historical Venetian hotel! This beautiful hotel sits on the beach just east of the Pier and has been designated on the Register of National Historic Places as “The first Condominium Beach Community in the United States, built in 1924“.
- Capitola City Beach: Capitola Village, with great restaurants at the beach edge, nice waves and a distant view of Monterey, this is a great place to take in the sun. Often on Sundays there’s a street fair and great music. People tend to come to Capitola Beach to learn how to surf. The surf is shallow enough and perfect for even very young kids to get out there and shred some waves.
- New Brighton State Beach: This beautiful state park and beach is truly paradise! Easy access to the beach, access to clean camp grounds, and a beautiful stop for any visitor traveling to Capitola!
- Capitola Historical Museum: Are you a history buff or just enjoy learning about the places you visit? Then add the Capitola Historical Museum to your itinerary. Capitola is California’s oldest seaside resort town. Learn about the oddities of this little gem of a community from its early mid-1800’s days until the present.
- Sante Adairius Rustic Ales: If you are a true enjoyer of beer then this is the stop for you! Locals Tim and Adair started this brewery several years ago, the Santa Adairius beers are some of the best around. Specialties include Saison brews with wonderful full flavors and aromas. A place to kick back and enjoy your rustic surroundings with a wonderfully local brew.
- Capitola Beach Co.: Ready for a little fun in the sun? Surfing & Windsurfing, Outdoor Activities, Tours & Activities, Boat Tours & Water Sports, and classes!!! Everything from beginner’s level to advanced, Capitola Beach Co is your one stop spot for water activities.
- Capitola Food Tour: Calling all Foodies! One visitor has said it best: If you’re traveling through the Santa Cruz area and staying for a day or two, this Food Tour is excellent and a “disguise” for a fabulous history experience about the founding of Capitola. The tour guide takes you on a walking history tour of the area, stopping off at about 5 restaurants (even a Tea Room) where you meet the owners, learn about their foods and get some wonderful exercise to boot.
- Thomas Kinkaid Signature Gallery: Are you a fan of the great works of Thomas Kinkaid? Then this local family owned gallery highlighting the works of Thomas Kinkaid is for you! Quaint and intimate you can truly take your time enjoying the great works of the great artist.
- Capitola Mercantile: Stop in at the local Capitola Mercantile for dinner at the Village Grill and Creamery, afterwards indulge your sweet tooth with fresh saltwater taffy!
- Lumen Gallery: Looking for an interesting keepsake to take home or to friends and family to commemorate your special trip? Then visit Lumen Gallery for one of a kind unique glass blown trinkets.